Monday, April 7, 2008

Haircut Negotiations

So I don't know if any one else is like me, but at our house we wait until the hair is so long that you can no longer see to get a hair cut. Last week I finally decided I've had enough of people thinking he was an orphan and it was time to begin the Haircut negotiations with Pumpkin (once I convince him the others fall in line quickly). For those of you that don't know us these negotiations began when Dad told Pumpkin that it is his hair and he can choose when he wants a haircut....Thanks Dad.
First I gather my ammunition. Pumpkin had recently been grounded for a week and he knew that I had the power to give some relief to the punishment. So phase one begins. I ask nicely if he would like to have his hair shaved off for the summer, remembering to mention how nice and cool it would be and how most of his friends would soon have similar haircuts (this one works well with him) a resounding NO was his reply. Then phase two, the begging and guilting, "please Pumpkin I am very tired and pregnant these days and it would really help if we didn't have to do your hair each morning." Again the response was NO this time with a roll of the eyes, because he knows I don't ever do his hair in the morning. So I am down to phase three, bribing, because I know this will work I begin with a small offer of two days off of his week long punishment. The answer again was NO, but because Pumpkin has a great talent for negotiating he countered with the whole week of grounding, and only if we would cut just the front part of his hair off. I then countered with four days and if after Dad cut off the front part he liked it that was fine with me. Now I know that the second he sees how silly this haircut looks he will be so grateful for the full buzz cut. I mean honestly what 9 year old in his right mind would show up at school with this haircut?


My Pumpkin of course. He said he loved the new haircut and he would be keeping it that way. Then in a panic, because I know I have lost this battle, I pull the "I am your mother and you will do what I want" card. This never goes over well with any of my boys, but they also know there is no disputing it. So after 30 minutes of yelling, crying, and pleading I again had three beautifully groomed boys living in my home.

Next time I will be better prepared with ammunition for our Haircut negotiations, unfortunately Pumpkin likely will be to.

0 comments: