Sunday, January 11, 2009

To my Alex



The day you came into this world we were so excited and a little surprised, because you decided to come early. We thought all would go smoothly with the delivery, but then the doctors noticed your heart rate dropping. There was a frenzy of doctors, nurses, and even your pediatrician was called in to help. We almost lost you that night, and I knew you would forever change our lives. After many tense minutes you were born and I was never before or since so relieved to hear a baby cry. It turns out that you were such an active baby that you had created a full knot in the umbilical cord. The doctors said if you hadn't come early you wouldn't have made it.

I remember holding you, thinking I was so lucky to have another beautiful little boy. I remember your curly black hair and huge inquiring eyes. I remember how little you were, and how softly your dad would hold you. I remember the nurses would argue over which one would get to hold you. You were such a quiet baby, just absorbing all that was going on around you.

You continued to grow more handsome with each day and everywhere we went you would make friends. You became a big brother at only 2 years old and seemed to grow up overnight. You have always been very caring, and sweet and I think your little brothers are so lucky to have you around.

I love your shy little smile, and the way you always hug me when no one is looking. I love that twinkle in your eyes when you are being mischievous. I love that you are always tripping over yourself, it just gives me more opportunities to hold you. I love that you still call me "Mama". I love that you want to live with me forever, even when you are married. I love your need to be heard, I can relate being a middle child myself. I love that you want to make good choices, and that you are always a good friend. I know you will grow into such a great husband and father some day but I pray the years will go by slowly.

I love you very much my big 6 year old.

Love, Mommy

3 comments:

Liz said...

Happy B-day Alex!!!

Sharilyn said...

Alex really has grown up fast, hasn't he. What a sweet post for a great kid!

Cole Family Fun said...

That made me cry. I loved all of the those pictures. He is growing up too fast and is a beautiful little man.. xoxoxo I HEART Alex